Join us as we explore examples of marketing excellence...and error.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Stoned: An example of excellent small business branding!

So, I have been doing some work in my kids bathroom recently which prompted several trips to Home Depot and Lowe's.  On my multiple trips I got into the habit of checking out all of the contracting businesses work trucks for signs of any intelligent life (I mean business knowledge).  While most small contractors had signs of some nature on their vehicles, many were of extremely poor quality and most did not even clearly communicate what the business did.

And that's the lesson for today.  Branding is a means of communicating to potential customers.  In order for branding to be effective, customers have to understand what you are trying to tell them.  I refer to this as Branderstanding.  Most of the trucks I saw in the parking lots of the big box stores did not get this basic concept.

One did however, which is why they are showcased above.  They followed my small business branding guide of T.E.L.L. ing a story.  The T.E.L.L. method refers to:
  • T = Title.  The name of your business should indicate what you do.  In this case, Butte Creek Stone gives us a bit of insight. 
  • E = Explanation line. With 7 words or less, REALLY explain what you do.  This can be catchy or memorable but it can also just be straight to the point.  Above, the explanation line is "Granite Fabrication & Intallation"  Perfect, I won't be calling them to install my stone patio.
  • L = Logo.  The visual element is an important part of the brand.  This example does not have a visual other than how they created the blocks to stack on top of each other, like stone might do. 
  • L = Look & Feel.  This logo looks modern, clean, and tidy.  I get the impression they are professional (maybe more so that their competitors) and their attention to detail gives me the perception that they will also treat my project (if I had one) with considerate thought. 
With branding, you have to tell your story fast...often in a split second.  If a potential customer does not get what your are trying to tell them, they don't sit around and try and figure it out.  Nope, instead customers just move on to the next message being thrown at them.  The example above, while not perfect, was by far the best example I saw sitting in the parking lot. 

I will leave no stone unturned in my quest to bring you more!

No comments:

Post a Comment